Our History

In 1812, a small group of locals discussed the possibility of holding services in Clapton, and one of them, a Mr. Rumbal, opened his house for services on Sunday evenings and during the week. In 1816, as the membership increased, a chapel was built, and was known as the Independent Chapel at Clapton.

Between 1841 and 1956, due to increase in the size of the congregation, and damages done to the church during World War II, the church underwent several building renovations and repairs, and on Saturday 14th July 1956, a new church building was dedicated.

Over the past 20 years, the Upper Clapton church has steadily grown in membership and in its mission outlook.  The church has greatly impacted the community.  The building has undergone several alterations to accommodate the increased membership and activities of the church. However, by 2003, despite the many alterations the building remained inadequate for the growing church.

In 2012, after extensive consultation, plans for a new church with increased capacity and modern facilities for the congregation and its ministry in the community, were approved and finally, in 2017 construction of a new church building and community centre began.